Opening screen of TRS-Opera
TRS-Opera, written by Richard Taylor, was an early TRS‑80 music program. It was distributed by Acorn Software and sold for $9.95.
TRS-Opera is a BASIC program with an embedded machine language sound routine. The sound routine plays notes through the TRS‑80 cassette port very rapidly, simulating more than one note at a time. The “opera” part of the name derives from the choice of music included with the program:
- “William Tell Overture” from Guillaume Tell (William Tell) by Gioachino Rossini
- “Sempre Libera” from La Traviata by Giuseppe Verdi
- “Quando me’n vò” (“Musetta’s Waltz”) from La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini
- “Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen” (“Queen of the Night Aria”) from Die Zauberflöte (The Magic Flute) by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- “La donna è mobile” from Rigoletto by Giuseppe Verdi
Quite an impressive list of songs for a program that fit in 16K!